Thursday, May 19, 2011

I have spent a couple of afternoons in the fox hide waiting for Mr Fox over the last week; annoyingly, after some very regular and bold appearances, he now seems to have become more shy.  Luckily, there is a great tit nest in the base of an old hornbeam just a metre or so from where I am sitting. So, to pass the time, I have been recording the time interval between visits from each of the adult birds. I am waiting to amass more times to get a more accurate amperage but one thing I have noticed is that when there is a long time gap of 5 minutes or so between a visit, the second bird comes in within a couple of seconds of the first, suggesting, maybe, that the pair of birds forage together, at least when they travel further afield.  This may confer an advantage, as far as predator detection is concerned, with two pairs of eyes rather than just one.

No comments: