Tuesday, November 23, 2010


I have been having phenomenal views of a juvenile female sparrowhawk over the past couple of weeks. She often makes her stealth runs through the various baiting areas, scattering birds, as she goes. If her runs are unsuccessful she will often just alight and perch on one of the feeder supports or baiting logs. Yesterday, the alarm calls alerted me to her presence and I watched her jink and glide through 3 separate feeding areas until she just perched in front of me, a mere 3m away! I was not in a hide, I was standing in the open. I remained motionless and managed to watch her for 2 or 3 minutes until she just glided off again.
The image was taken last week by Brian Henham as she did exactly the same thing; he, however, was already in the hide waiting for a woodpecker to appear!

No comments: