Saturday, April 4, 2009

I know, I know, but I have been so overly busy I have not had a slightest chance of updating the blog recently. I have been dashing into Scrag to get jobs done but my main task at the moment is finishing the woodpecker hole survey at Chidingfold Forest before the leaves obscure vision too much. Combine this with teaching many photography workshops and I have not had a day off since January!
However, I'm sorry for the lack of updates so here's a synopsis of events at Scrag:
  • 5 slow worms and a grass snake yesterday
  • blackthorn is just flowering nicely
  • chiff chaff singing repeatedly around the hide
  • goldfinches are now joined by 6+ siskins, this is super!
  • lesser celandine, wood sorrel, golden saxifrage flowering
  • wren carrying nest material
  • woodland floor is now green with dogs mercury and bluebells (not yet flowering)
  • hawthorn and hornbeam just coming into leaf creating a light green blush
In short Scrag Copse is entering the advanced stages of spring and things are getting very, very exciting. I am badger watching this Tuesday and I hope very soon to be able to update you about how many badger cubs there are this year. Thanks for sticking with the blog.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Sounds like it's been a very busy time for you recently - but that can only be good!

It's always great to hear the latest news of Scrag Copse. Maybe it's because we've had a cold winter, but this year Spring seems to be far more 'in-yer-face' than in recent years. It's been a joy to watch.