Saturday, August 9, 2008

They're back!

6th August 2008
Having been very, very busy working on the laptop lately cataloguing images, I have given the badgers a little rest. I was becoming more and more nocturnal and coupled with the absence of most of the badger clan, I felt it was time to take a break and allow things to unfold on their own.
Admittedly, at the start of each badger watch I have doubts as to whether the pesky mammals will show especially in light of recent events. However, with Debbie Adams and her group, we only waited 45 minutes before I spotted the familiar and very welcome striped head on the opposite side of the sett. This badger rapidly headed south before returning at a trot to the main mound. I was very pleased to identify it as one of the cubs and apparently a female by her maturing structure and bushy tail. She was joined by 2 other badgers who remained a little over to the left side just exploring the new holes in the dry stream bed. Overall, we watched the activities for 50 minutes until it became too dark and there was a lull in activities.
In short, it was great relief to see 3 out of 4 of the cubs (I hope the other one is OK) and to see that they are maturing well into competent, independent badgers.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Glad to hear the badgers are still making their appearances!