Sunday, March 9, 2008

Barn Owl!

Friday 7th March, 2008. Incredible! I am over the moon. A late evening visit to lay out the food for the badgers was rewarded by disturbing a barn owl perched a mere 40 metres from one of the barn owl boxes put up for them only a few days ago. Admittedly, it was a pity to disturb this beautiful owl but I was certainly not expecting to see one and was more on the lookout for deer, badgers and woodcock. Once it took flight though, I had a spectacular view of it hovering and quartering across the long grass fields until eventually it disappeared from sight. This is the view I have imagined across this meadow, feeling that it was ideal barn owl habitat and this was why I put the boxes up. I think it's safe to assume that if it was perched so close to the nest box at that time of day, it will be very aware of the presence of the nest box; birds are always very concious of changes within their territory. The owl may even be using the box as a day-time roost already. I feel it is now only a question of time before it is used as a nest site. I am thrilled with this development and look forward to posting more news on this in the future.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Great news!! You must be chuffed to bits.