Sunday, February 10, 2008

Saturday 9th February 2008

Went for a circular walk with my friend Simon around the surrounding area of Scrag Copse. Its ironic that when I go to the wood, I'm going there to work and so only visit and work in the wood itself. On the walk I wanted to put my patch in context with the local environment and explore other potential patches of wildlife interest.
As soon as we got some way it was good to look back and see a male sparrowhawk circling over Scrag. The weather was beautiful, clear blue sky and warm and it is days like this in early spring that sparrowhawks wheel high over the landscape to establish their territory. I am very happy to have one marking out a territory around Scrag Copse!
Around the walk we also saw 4 roe deer. These seem to be in high numbers in the area and I see 4 - 6 roe in and around Scrag virtually every day. I do, however, have a problem with out of control dogs that are chasing deer into Scrag. They come from miles away and just relentlessly chase the deer yapping and barking. This is a problem, I don't think they will actually catch the deer but the disturbance they create is very irritating.
Other wildlife we saw was: bullfinches, woodpeckers (green and great spotted) plus all the usual woodland birds.
A great walk on a very early spring day.

1 comment:

Claire said...

After spending the afternoon at Scrag Copse today (10th), I was left feeling all warm inside! It was nice to see a different side to the wood I experienced two weeks ago. The very subtle change in weather meant a drop in temperature which gave the wood an air of intrigue... we spotted some roe deer at the end of our walk and I felt very lucky to be in the presence of such beautiful creatures.

There were lots of birds around David's hide, Blue Tits, Great Tits and my favorite the Robin. We managed to spot a Great Spotted Woodpecker, the third I've seen in two visits.

The wood is a lovely place to spend a glorious afternoon like today!